Restoring a piece of American Muscle Car History one blog at a time. Part-Time Restorer/Owner/blog

  • Restoring a piece of American Muscle Car History one blog at a time. Part-Time Restorer/Owner/blogger: Gary Penna

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Post #7 Engine repaint and breakdown time!!

       Today Noah and his team broke down the engine to clean, sand and re-paint.  As you will see from the pictures the engine has very little surface rust.  The timing cover being the only real issue.  The engine will be painted Ford Corporate Blue.  As I mentioned in my earlier posts, Ford didn't start painting the engines blue until 1966.  However, I am not looking for a re-production, but rather what I like. So for all you purists out there, sorry, but this is not going to be one.  The Serpentine Belt pulleys and drive will be here this week.  I am excited about how sharp this is going to look.  Finding parts for the mustang is actually much easier and much cheaper than I originally thought, although it still adds up!!  To use the pilot vernacular however, I am still right on my glideslope budget.  With only the brakes and tires left to order I am almost done with my purchases.   Noah, is taking care of a large portion as part of the restore as well.  The agreement is it will be in good solid mechanical condition, free of rust with a factory restored paint job with if I desire racing stripes.  Which I do.  I finally reached a decision on the color, but I am not going to reveal that until it gets back from paint.
    
        The windows and weather stripping were also pulled today.   This will allow for several things, namely a better paint job, the ability to replace the dash and new seals..

        Noah is also thinking about removing the front fenders to be able to prep everything more consistently for paint.  I am very happy about that as well, this will also allow us to see the condition of the wiring and body towards the engine compartment as well as the forward or front frame rails.  The most common place for rust.  Fingers crossed.  

Take a look at the latest pics:

The exaust system is in good condition.   We will be adding a GT rear valance and Scott Drake exaust kit.


The stock 289 V8 in its bare ass form.  Man I can't wait to see the serpentine kit, restored headers, chrome air cleaner and valve covers against the ford blue engine!

No rust!  Great Great sign!!  Even on the lower suspension.  Hell yeah!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment