Restoring a piece of American Muscle Car History one blog at a time. Part-Time Restorer/Owner/blog

  • Restoring a piece of American Muscle Car History one blog at a time. Part-Time Restorer/Owner/blogger: Gary Penna

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Post #6 Interior getting stripped down.

So while the engine is being brought back to its original glory, the next major project is the stripping down of the interior for a complete restore.  Some folks are traditionalist when it comes to restoring the interior of classic cars.  I thought long about this, but what I concluded was that I wanted something that had a traditional muscle car look but had some modern updates to make the daily drive enjoyable.  Quite frankly puke green and the baby ass blue of the mid sixties have never screamed manly to me. Looking at the floors after pulling the carpet there is a little surface rust but very few bad spots, that being said the boys at Precision Mustang Performance will be replacing floor pans, cleaning and stripping the floors and then re-coating the entire floor before installing new carpet.  The seats are in pretty good shape, but the goal is to eventually replace them with higher back seating.  The original seats have nothing but lap belts and no head rests.  My only concern is the safety factor in the car, We'll see where the budget is after the major interior restores are done.  If there is anything else left I'll be replacing the seats with upgraded higher back seats and 3-point shoulder seat belts. The gauges are pretty rough, those will be replaced and the dash and headliner.  Some will accuse me of ruining the interior by changing out the classic steering wheel, but the simple fact is I don't care for the old style, I've never liked it, so a nice Mahogany 14" Scott Drake will be installed.  With a beautiful polished billet aluminum "running pony" stamped  horn button assembly.  That was a mouthful.  The original sweeping style speedometer instrument cluster is in bad shape, I am undecided if I am going to go with an updated 6 gauge round dial cluster bezel or just put in reconditioned original sweeping one.  I have time on that decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment